Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Special Education madness




Take me back to 5th grade; the special education teacher was asking for one student from each class to help out in her room, a few times a week, to help integrate her students with peers their age (of course in 5th grade, I did not know that's what we were doing! I thought we just got to go do some fun crafts and lessons with them!!). I was scared, like most kids, going in. Didn't know what to do, how to act, what to say or not say. The teacher made me feel so welcome and that I was really needed in this room. I fell in love, almost instantly. I was fortunate to get to work in this classroom the following year, as well.

Fast forward to high school-what did I want to do with my life? I wasn't brainy, or athletic. I knew I wanted to be a teacher. So I started at the community college, and we all know how that goes...take a few classes, get sent to do some interning in classrooms. Yep, only fueled my desire to teach...and eventually work with students who need special help.

ASU time comes around, and the wait to get in to the Special Education department is 2 semesters. I was too impatient. So I went the general ed route; with every intention of going back some day to continue studying special education. In time, that happened, got my masters degree from NAU in Special Education. Think it's all done here? Nooooo...you can get a degree in an area, but not be certified until you take the AEPA (yes, I took and passed it to teach general ed already!). I finally buckled down this summer, studied off and on and took the plunge...and signed up for the test.

I took it last month, when I was very sick. BUT, the AEPA doesn't care if you are sick! I had paid too much and invested too much to reschedule. My nerves were a wreck, so I just went in and did it!

Found out yesterday that I passed! I was so relieved. You may ask, what am I going to do with this now? I tell you-absolutely nothing. It's for my future plan. Not right now, sometime later. But when that time comes, I am now certified and ready to go!

1 comment: