Friday, December 31, 2010

Farewell 2010...


2010 was a year of many events, as is for everyone. It's 12 months of new memories, exciting adventures, and new friends. I have been very blessed this past year, and would like to take a moment to reflect on a few things:
  • January is a hard month. A year ago this coming weekend I found my grandpa. I will try to stay positive and remember his amazing personality and kindness, but I still miss him. I just hope he is watching down and I make him proud.

  • In March I officially moved out of my parents house; I never thought the day would come. I loved being at home, loved being with my parents, but the time and opportunity had come for me to leave the nest...and I have enjoyed every moment of living alone! I miss my parents terribly at times, but thankfully my job and the dog(s) keep me company.

  • I am lucky enough to work for Camp Challenge in the summer, and it's a great eye-opening job opportunity for me. This past year I was promoted to camp coordinator, and boy was I in for a shock. I knew what was expected of the coordinator, and did the job to my best ability--but all who know me know I don't just 'do' a job, I go above and beyond...which just makes more work for me :) This past summer I formed bonds with many of our campers and a lot of the staff, making me even more excited to come back this summer!

  • School started again in August. I was pleased to continue teaching 5th grade, and in the same classroom. I found out that this bunch of kiddos would be different; some amazing kids who surprised and surpassed all I could ever hope of them, and some that didn't....needless to say, I have learned to be stronger this year. I received my first 'death threat' from a kid, had some terrible things said to me, but I am still teaching :)

  • I was given tickets to see Lady Antebellum (a country group that I love) for my birthday, and lucky for me the concert landed on Halloween! I am not a big fan of dressing up-maybe because the whole afternoon of the school day is spent dressing up kids, prancing around the halls, dancing to music, and giving them way too many sweets before sending them home? :)

  • Thanksgiving this year was expected to be very tough; our first family holiday without either grandparent. Jared was drawn for Elk Hunting, so we took the opportunity to spend the holiday camping with him. IT WAS AMAZING. I had the best time with the family, made some amazing memories, and can't believe how much it snowed!! I look forward to next year, and hopefully my sister and her family can join us!

  • I have discovered my fascination to talk with my closest friends about poop. I hate poop, it makes me gag (human, kid, dog...all of it!!) but for some reason I have found it funny to bring it into many conversations....??

  • This past Christmas was a very special one. We all met at my sisters house and ate a delicious meal, opened presents, and spent time with family. Pete and Fran came down and stayed with me, and Stacy, Brandon, and Ashlee were able to join us. It was nice to see the whole family and extended family together, be there to support each other, and have some good laughs. I LOVED watching Kayla-bug open presents; she didn't care whose present it was, or what it was...she just wanted to open it. Abby wanted to play with EVERYTHING as she opened it. What is it about kids that make Christmas so special?

  • I ended this year by going to zoo lights with my sister, Abby, Kayla, and my brother. We had a nice time together, just us siblings! Today I am going to see a movie with my parents and brother, then have a few close friends over to watch a movie and stay in on this crazy holiday. This past year I have learned the true meaning of friendships; have learned to find friends in the people you may not expect, and to love them all for who they are.

1 comment: